Building Control & Permits

Any new building and any alteration that adds on to or changes the structure of an existing building must go to a City Council’s Development Management Department for approval. There are penalties for non-compliance.​ If you’ve chosen to build without having the plans approved, a building inspector is entitled to enter your property and order construction to stop immediately. They could even obtain a court order for the structure to be demolished, at your expense, and you would be liable for legal costs as well. In serious cases, you could be fined or sent to prison.​​​

A Section 7/6 application can be made to commence building once your building plans have been accepted for submission.